Sunday, January 16, 2011

Paperwork and Diversity

Yesterday and early this morning, I took time to compile and complete what I pray is the last of the paperwork for adopting our two sons’ from China.  But if I've missed anything, our social worker will follow up with an email on additional items needed to complete our dossier.

As I was getting ready for church today, I was pleased that I will not be going to work tomorrow.  For many of us, we are afforded the luxury of having the day off because it is Martin Luther King Day.  I was an unborn baby, when Martin Luther King, on August 28, 1963 delivered his beautiful dream. "I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. . . . I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will be judged not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Martin Luther King’s dream is yet to be realized. And I’m well aware that his dream is not realized as Terry and I are adopting two boys from China. As I’m concerned about this matter, a pastor today helped me put Martin Luther King’s dream into a Biblical vision of God’s purpose for the world. The Biblical vision is bigger than how blacks and whites relate. It's about people from every race and every language and every tribe uniting with God. And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation (Revelation 5:9). So as I consider Martin Luther King and his beautiful dream, I’m mindful that God has the ultimate dream.  God does not just want blacks and whites. God wants black and white and brown and red and yellow and every shade in between. As Christians, may we accept a diversity of people.

4 comments:

  1. Barb, You are a wonderful writer! You express your thoughts almost poetically! And your thoughts are right on target. God Bless you and Terry as you continue through this process. I look forward to the diversity in your family. And mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Thank you for the compliment on my writing, but I often feel inadequate in what I want to express.
    We look forward to the diversity of our family and are happy to share it with you, along with other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the compliments on your writing... made me think of the children's song...
    Jesus loves the little children, ALL the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, Indeed Jesus does love all the little children on the world!!What a great reminder of a wonderful song! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete